Engineers from Northern Gas Networks are carrying out emergency repair work to a gas main at St Andrews Road, Bishop Auckland.
The team were called to a reported smell of gas at 3pm on Thursday (24 November), and after making the situation safe have worked around the clock to continue the repairs.
The gas supply to properties in the area has not been affected however it has been necessary to close one lane on St Andrews Road and put temporary traffic lights in place to enable the work to be carried out safely and efficiently. Crown Street has also been closed temporarily.
Access to properties in the area is being maintained and parking has not been affected.
Site Manager Ian Parkin said: “We’re continuing to repair the main but would like to apologise to customers for any inconvenience caused.
“We’ve been working closely with local stakeholders including St Andrews Free Church to minimise the disruption caused while we carry out this work and will be doing all we can to ensure that our works are completed as soon as possible.
“We’d like to thank everyone for their patience as we complete this essential work.”
NGN’s Customer Care team is available on 0800 040 7766 option 7.
Anyone that smells gas or suspects carbon monoxide should ring the National Gas Emergency Service on 0800 111 99. This line is in operation 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.